Monday, August 7, 2017

One Poker Hen 170-171

Hey guys, Sonickrazy here this time, bringing you two more exciting chapters of One Poker! Last time, Kaiji got a powerful Queen card, bringing him to UP-UP! Now... what about Kazuya?!

Thanks to Crump for the ever-polished cleans and to Tambur for the always-excellent typesetting!

One Poker 170
One Poker 171

"Just now... Kaiji-san avoided destruction!"


First of all, I do want to take a moment since I haven't written a Kaiji post in so long to say that I am really, genuinely enjoying this arc as much as any other Fukumoto arc in existence. Now part of that may be that I was able to read the volumes all at once when they came out, but One Poker is a little like mahjong in that the exact details of each hand they play can kind of blur together and it's easy to forget exactly what happens at each point, so as I'm translating this series I find myself swept up in the action again, just like when I rewatch Akagi or reread a mahjong manga.

It's true, there isn't much happening each chapter, but after translating Akagi for all these years I'm very used to that. A lot of people point to the Amazon reviews of the volumes being horribly poor, but if you read the reviews they're all talking about the pacing and how you have to pay a whole ¥617 (like 5 bucks) for something that takes 30 minutes to read. But if you understand how much you're going to get per chapter and that it's going to be drawn out as thin as can be, the things being talked about are still very entertaining, interesting, and dramatic!

I think this first chapter is a pretty good example of what I mean. What does a long tangent on the nature of luck and how gamblers experience it do to progress the plot? Nothing. It even takes up half the chapter and involves a weird abstract metaphor about the ground under you changing its incline. But tell me, are you not entertained? Is it not a fitting description of how the luck in this situation feels? It even ties in to Chang's realization that if Kaiji hadn't gotten rid of his 2 they would have died. If Kaiji had not held on to that incline tightly enough, he would have literally fallen down to the pits of hell. If you just accept that not a lot is going to happen in any given chapter you'll have a pretty good experience reading this manga, IMHO.

So in the end, Kaiji finally wins a regular life, which had been evading him for 3 hands after all those draws. I do wonder if he won't just bet the red lives again anyway though, with just one regular life he might have to bet some reds to make Kazuya fold anyway. Kaiji's queen is pretty good though, he should be able to win the next hand if he plays it... unless Kazuya's luck comes back with a vengeance.

Come back next week and I'll talk a bit about what I have in mind with the wording I use and how I have each of the characters talk!

17 comments:

  1. Great work Sonic & Tamburs! Also shout out to Denji for sending me those nice volume 8 eBook raws

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I wasn't able to read the chapters here. The site showed weirdly as down or something.

    Man, I'm glad it's back for me and I love reaing these, you have no idea.

    Also I found your commentary, Sonickrazy, particularly entertaining this week.

    I really cannot wait to see what keeps happening, it's true that this is a slow burning manga but I think it's not an accident. I think this is the pacing Fukumoto has planned for it all along

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks man, we'll be caught up in no time like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously though, it's Urabe all over again. "My opponent would never think like this" is not at all a realistic reason for dismissing the optimal move when you have such an overwhelming advantage. High-stakes match or not, it's just contrived. Unless we wanna play the Tonegawa card and say that even semi-successful gamblers have a tendency to be arrogant enough to trust their hard reads that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol what a noob

      Delete
    2. Kazuya's tilting will soon prove me right. Stability is worth more than one life.

      Delete
    3. You just died and killed 2 more with this man.

      Delete
    4. What do you mean, died and killed 2 more? I'm talking about Kazuya not calling when he had lives up the ass, if that's not abundantly clear.

      Delete
  5. Is Kaiji a weekly or monthly serialization?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaiji is weekly, but it takes long breaks sometimes.

      Delete
    2. It doesn't take long breaks, it takes a week off every month or so (all the series in Young Magazine do so as well, so it's not Fukumoto's fault)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the blogpost this time Sonic, interested to see what you have to say next week.

    I feel like even if Kaiji has the ability to raise with his red lives he won't end up doing it because of the scare he got from almost dying. Then again if he's as insane as Kazuya says he is then that's exactly something he would do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the double upload yet again. I was about to quit reading until One Poker had finished because of how slow and annoying it was to read weekly but i'm sticking with it now. Two chapters a week works well.

    Suddenly Kaiji is winning and i'm curious on how long it'll last. It feels like a big revelation will take place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Double double double double! Thank you very much people from FKMTkrazy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God. What was that hesitation in the end of the chapter. I hope Kazuya didn't saw it.

      Delete
    2. ps. Fukumoto, also known as, AKA, The Master of Cliffhanger

      Delete
  9. I can't download anything but the fiorst page. can anybody please be the kindest soul and find a way to upload those on mega?

    ReplyDelete