Tuesday, November 29, 2016

One Poker Hen 129

Whoops! I meant to post this yesterday, but wouldn't you know it, I got sidetracked by something! AHAHA... haha... Well I tried out the new pills the doctor gave me last night and I had an interesting reaction. I aint making excuses, but... ANYWAY, Here's Kaiji!

Thanks to Sonickrazy for the translations and to Crump Biggums for the cleans!

Chapter Link 

"He's toying with me! Running me over! Crushing me!"

It seems Kaiji has indeed lost Mother Sophie's favor. I began to wonder, just how did this machine come to have a name like Mother Sophie in the first place. I mean it seems a little different from the other names of named thing in the manga. Ones that come to mind that aren't just outright naming the event or the particulars of it would be... "Brave Men Road" "The Bog" "Minefield Mahjong" Those are the ones that stray a bit from just downright stating exactly what the game is about. But this name... To name this machine Mother Sophie... It feels like there's something more to it. Plus one other item. The only other thing that is named is Mother Sophie's Hand of Heaven. Why is that named as well? Very odd in my opinion.

When you are inundated by DOWN cards, it seems there's nothing you can do but sit and wait for your eventual demise. Kaiji feels his lead slowly slipping through his fingers and there's nothing he can do about it. Skill, Wits, Plans... None of it is worth a damn if you don't have the luck to support yourself. Kaiji has truly fallen into a pit of despair. He can only watch as his entire fortune is ripped from his bleeding hands.

10 comments:

  1. As always, thanks for this.

    Already 18 cards shown, this makes me wonder if probability and process of elimination will play a big part in the next hands...

    Can somebody remind me how many decks of cards did they put into mother Sophie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 decks. Then Kaiji split those shuffled decks in half. So in all that's 52 x 3 = 156 /2 = roughly 78 cards. I'm sure he didn't put it exactly in the middle, so it's 78 give or take. Minus the 18 cards we've seen, there should be roughly 60 cards left.

    Still, to be split between 3 decks, it'll be hard to form an opinion on what's left. Maybe once another 15-20 cards have been shown we can slowly begin that process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that I am not loving the Kaiji (I am) Just curious to know what is going on with Akagi or Hiro or Washizu or Kurosawa ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that I am not loving the Kaiji (I am) Just curious to know what is going on with Akagi or Hiro or Washizu or Kurosawa ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the translation once again.

    I have a hunch Kaiji will get an ace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! A new Kaiji chapter always brightens my day. I always wondered why sometimes it takes so long for new chapters to be released. Are you the only translators for this series? Are you in financial trouble? Some told me that some of you are just distracted by mahjong sometimes but I'm not sure if that was a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. im also curious about whats going on with akagi

    ReplyDelete
  8. also i know that feel with changing medications and stuff for the past few days ive decided not to talk my meds and ive gotten hell for it

    ReplyDelete
  9. 4 days later, the chapter still somehow hasn't been uploaded anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so gratefully for you guys work. I'm itching to read the next Akagi chapter to

    ReplyDelete