Saturday, April 2, 2016

Jinan no Blues

It's our anniversary! We're 5 years old today! And just like we've been doing for a few years now, here's a one-shot from Fukumoto's early years! This one is called Blues of a Second Son, and it's about a man estranged from his family who's fallen on hard times and needs to ask them for money so he can go on a honeymoon with his fiancee to Guam. Can he reconnect after leaving his family for 10 years?

Thanks to Tambur for both cleaning and typesetting this one!

Chapter Link

"As the years wear on, your money starts to feel like a part of your body."


So the reason we decided to do this chapter was kind of out of necessity; I hadn't really put any thought into what I wanted to do for the anniversary and the deadline was approaching. Thankfully Tambur had had this chapter pre-cleaned for a while so I slammed it out in 4 hours on wednesday night. I don't think it was as good as The Night the Stars Fall but it was still kinda thought-provoking.

Takayuki kind of comes off as uncaring and selfish, not wanting to see the best for Kyouko or to take care of his poor old dad even after bonding with him so easily. But when you remember that he was abused as a kid and left his family at age 16 you kind of understand why he's like that. I think his characterization of taking on a challenge by his brother but caving in and trying to run away when it came down to it felt really human.

The ending was interesting as well. It's not a sappy ending where everything works out for the best; it kind of just ends with Takayuki discovering his dad's money and trying to give it back not because he cares about his dad but because he "feels sick" taking money from him. I think that's an important distinction. I think Takayuki is still afraid of his dad on some level and while he says "I don't have the kindness in me to live with you", I think he means "Even after seeing how much you've changed I still don't want to risk being with you and suffering abuse any more". I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking it but that's what I got out of it.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the chapter, and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five years is a LONG time, thank you for your dedication and all the hard work you've done for the FKMT fans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary guys! Thank you so much for all the hard work you've been doing for the past 5 years. Cannot wait for your future releases. Thank you for the one-shot; I'm always sucker for FKMT's early works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was there an update on the April 1st issue?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy (late) anniversary, everyone!
    I love Fukumoto's older works because his style is so inconsistent with his newer/more infamous one. You can still tell it's him by the way he draws the expressions though...like Pen-Chan and early Kaiji have that same :D mouth, it's cute.

    On a semi-unrelated note, does anybody know what's going on with Gin to Kin translations? Did that project die out, or what? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough (if that's the case I truly apologize) but I can't find English updates past chapter 89 anywhere...there's only half a volume left, too...I want to read the end of Ginji and Morita's torrid love affair.

    ReplyDelete