Thursday, March 17, 2016

HERO Chapter 22

It's the final round of the Mugging Mahjong match versus Kawajiri! Now knowing what his opponent is doing... how can Hiroyuki turn his tricks against him?!

Thanks to Tambur for the typesetting and to Crump for the cleans! There will be a mahjong night this saturday on the IRC at 3:00 PM PST. Also, Sakura-con is coming up on the 26th! I'll be hanging out in the mahjong room all day, maybe cosplaying as Kazuya from Kaiji, so be sure to swing by if you want to meet me! I'd love to see you!

Chapter Link

"A blessing in the depths of Hell!!"


OK so let's just get the elephant in the room out of the way. Yes, you just saw a Britney Spears song in a fukumoto manga. No, it wasn't in the original translation. Now, I know what you're thinking. Sonic, you ruined Hero! Why would Kishibe ever have a Britney Spears song as his ringtone? Quit shoving mindless pop into the manga! Surely the original song was much more fitting of a guy like Kishibe, right? Surely you just wanted to make fun of him, right? I'll just pull up the original and listen to it myself! Let's see, it's "Yeah! Meccha Holiday" by Matsuura Aya...

.....Oh. It's worse.

ok so I figured that people reading this have probably never heard that song before, and while the joke works amazing if you know it, it really doesn't if you don't. So I racked my brain for a similar song that was released before 2003 that western audiences might know, and after looking up songs like Move Bitch, Complicated and Hot in Herre, I eventually remembered an american singer that definitely was above and beyond Aya, by the name of Britney Spears. I think the joke works just as well with Britney instead of Aya, though Holiday is so much more typical pop that it might even make the joke work better. But hopefully it still caught people off guard enough.

As for the rest of the chapter, the reason Kawajiri wanted to deal in right away is so that Hiroyuki couldn't stay dealer; he wanted to end the game by dealing in to the student to run away with his lead. But little did he know... that Hiroyuki's hand... is...!!!

5 comments:

  1. I think Britney worked great, laughed my ass off. About the actual chapter: i guess there is no atama hane in this parlor and both Hiro and the student are going to win off that discard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a "free" Mahjong Parlour and not a competitive match like the ones seen in Akagi. Although not stated in the etiquette board for the parlour, all of the players know what a "free" Mahjong Parlour implies.

      Delete
    2. I also think that the Britney ringtone was great. It threw me just as much the kurosawa one. We can't really ask for better translators you guys sure are dedicated! Thanks alot!

      As for your question I think you're right else Hiro wouldn't have done what he did on the last page.

      Delete
  2. Hiro is acting like he wasn't just head bumped. I thought this was the same universe as Akagi. And by that I am taking about the 12 Dora Washizu 1 pin single wait. "RON! ROOON! Ron Ron Ron Roooooooooooon!" "Aren't you listening old man?" "Head bump"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the same universe but it's also many years later and this match is taking place in a normal 2000s parlor.

      Delete