Thursday, March 3, 2016

HERO Chapter 20

Chapter 20 of HERO is now up! In this chapter, the mystery behind Kawajiri's "magical instincts" is revealed!

Thanks to Tambur for the typesetting and to Crump for the cleans! There will be a mahjong night this saturday at 3:00 PM PST.

Chapter Link

"There's no way guys like them can stop me!"


So it turns out that in addition to being an asshole this kid is also a cheater, and a shameless one at that. I don't have much to say about this chapter except that the "no playing with your hand face-down" rule is real and has reasons. Putting your hand face-down in the middle of the match kind of implies that you think you're better than everyone and you don't need to look at your hand to know what to play, and it can also be used to trick others into thinking you're in tenpai when you're not, which apparently goes against the morals of mahjong. I think it's kinda dumb but parlors are mostly for people to have fun rather than to do serious gambling so I guess I can see it. Tricking others by flipping your hand down would be a form of advantage play, kind of, which they don't want.

12 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever hated a character like this one before, I just want to punch him in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hero but I feel kinda (parden the pun) cheated. His magic mahjong power is people are somehow telling him his opponents hand. BURN THE WITCH!

    I was expecting something cooler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for doing HERO! Love this manga!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys for FKMT manga translations! Sonic, are you planning on streaming the Tohaiden game at some point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I streamed the shit out of it, it was all I streamed for like months. For some reason my android emulator makes the stream crash now though so I can't do it anymore :(

      Delete
    2. Will you download these streams on youtube?

      Delete
  5. I have a question?

    I re-read the chapter where he kan'd the 8 man and then won off the 7 man.

    And they made it seem like if he had riichi'd he would not have not been able to call the Kan

    But this series takes place in the same universe as Akagi and as I remember it, Akagi's first "real" opponent I think his name was Yagi the rep player called in before the Immortal Blind Man.

    He's entire thing was finding Akagi's "weak spot" which was that he did not know that it WAS possible to call a kan after making a riichi.

    So,

    What ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could not kan with the shape 7888, as it would change his hand from 7888 (6, 7, 9 wait) to 7[8888] (7 single wait). You are allowed to make closed kans after riichi, but not if it changes your wait.

      Delete
    2. But it didn't change his wait.

      It was a 7, and after it was still a 7

      It just wasn't a 6 or 9 anymore

      Delete
    3. It would change from a 6, 7, 9 wait to a 7 wait. It's an illegal kan, that's just how the rules are.

      Delete
  6. Question Again (Sorry)

    Is there more to the don't turn down your hand rule other than just Don't be an asshole?

    I know in actuality the rule exists to make Hiro's trickery to level the playing field cooler and thus more fun, but like . . . Is there more to it in reality?

    ReplyDelete