Friday, March 4, 2016

Akagi Chapter 283

Yes! A mere 3 days after it came out in japan, we have the next chapter of Akagi for you! Has FKMTkrazy turned into a speedscanning group now?!

Thanks to Crump for the cleans and to Tambur for the typesetting. There will be a mahjong night tomorrow at 3:00 PM PST on the IRC.

Chapter Link


"If he doesn't settle it now, it feels like there'll be nothing more we can do!"


So after an immense amount of suspense, Akagi fails to draw the 5-sou! But he does get a 2-sou, which will allow him to KAN! This makes his hand san kantsu, but more importantly, it will let him get another draw from the dead wall draw! Can he draw this furiten 4-sou closed wait?!

MY PREDICTIONS OF UPCOMING CHAPTERS! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I hadn't considered a 2-sou draw. It's true, with the 2-sou he can switch over to a 2-way wait on 2- and 3-sou, but more importantly he can kan and get another draw!! So it's basically the same thing that I predicted, just with different tiles. I was a bit puzzled as to how it would be possible to stop Washizu with a 2-sou draw here (apart from a Tsumo of course) until I noticed that Ohgi mentions Yasuoka has a 2-sou of his own. I feel pretty confident now that Akagi is going to draw a 1/9 man or 1/9 pin on his rinshan draw. Ohgi's going to whine about it for a while, but then Akagi will play either 3 or 5-sou, confusing everyone. In the following chapter, Yasuoka will play the 2-sou allowing akagi to pon it and get into a naked single wait on the 1/9 man or pin he just drew, thereby stopping Washizu from getting rid of his extra tiles to win.

After that, I have no idea how the round's going to progress. A naked single wait (having called 4 times and being left with only 1 tile in your hand) would be the perfect way to end the Washizu arc since it's something that Akagi has done to finish off many other opponents in the past (see Yagi and Urabe). If Fukumoto wants to end it with a yakuman too, he can have Akagi draw another 2-sou after that for Suu Kantsu, and if he REALLY wants to he can make it so counted yakuman stacks with suu kantsu for double yakuman, which Akagi could come back with after he won off Yasuoka. But I think that would be too predictable. I'm sure whatever it is, it'll be both stylish and something that we'll never see coming :)

19 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As expected, Akagi cashes in the 1-sou Kan.

    If he does get the 2-sou as speculated above, he really needs an opaque tile to have the faintest chance of stopping Washizu from discarding one of the tiles he must ditch to complete the Daisangen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if Akagi draws one of Washizu's outs as the dora indicator, and then draws the last 2-sou? Then Yasuoka can discard his 2-sou, and when Akagi calls that for suukantsu tenpai, he can draw another one of Washizu's outs as the last dora indicator. Then between Yasuoka's first and second draws as well as Akagi's last rinshan draw, they could potentially take Washizu's last two wind tiles as well as a 9-pin or 1-man tile before he can get another turn. Depending on who gets what tiles, Washizu's progress could be stalled by at least a turn or two, leading to even more avenues of bullshittery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, that relies on Yasuoka getting good draws though; yasuoka clearly isn't having as godly of draws as Akagi and Washizu. It's possible, but that's a lot of extra draws for what could be accomplished with one.

      Delete
  4. Akagi's hand is so close to Putin's Baltic Fleet from Koizumi :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Akagi does get suu kantsu, then wouldn't that mean that Washizu could kill off the game with a 5th kan on the chuu or the haku? Not sure it's in Akagi's interest to open that option up for him, so I'd have thought he probably wouldn't draw a 2-sou of his own (assuming this does indeed proceed with him ponning from Yasuoka's 2-sou).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Washizu forgot to mention this when they started the game, but there are two possibilities when someone is in Tenpai for Suu Kan Tsuu.

      1. No other player can make a Kan because there are technically no Rinshan tiles remaining.

      2. The 5th Kan is allowed but forces a draw.

      Washizu never mentioned his "house" rule on this because Suu Kan Tsuu is so ridiculously rare for a Yakuman hand. For all intents and purposes however, if it gets to Washizu's turn he's almost certainly going to get the tile he needs to win since he's in effective Tenpai with Suzuki helping him out with the calls.

      Delete
  6. I'm excited right now! This is exactly the development that I thought will happen but got disappointed some chapters ago when Akagi discarded that 4-sou. I predicted that Suu Kantsu is just a red herring, the final hand will be Chinitsu, Sankantsu, Toitoi, Haitei/Houtei/Rinshan, Dora 16 for a total of 26 Han!

    By the way, what would happen if Akagi got 26 Han but also a Yakuman?
    For example if this is what happens: Akagi will draw either 7-sou (there's 1), 5-sou (there are still 3), or 9-sou (there are 2) for the dora indicator, then he will draw 2-sou for his hand, ask Yasuoka to give him the last 2-sou, and then Kan for another 4-Dora and finally draw the 3 on Rinshan.

    Another option is to make Yasuoka create the final Kan.

    By the way, hanks for the quick release as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have fixed Yakuman hand like Suu Kan Tsuu, it's treated as a Yakuman no matter how many Han you've picked up. Double Yakuman hands are only doable if they are a combination of the standard Yakuman hands (Daisangen + Tsuu ii sou for example).

      All of the Han go out of the window if Akagi is waiting on a Suu Kan Tsuu. This Yakuman hand doesn't care about open or closed sets, but if Yasuoka makes the 4th Kan while Akagi is still on 3 then he's effectively signed Akagi's death sentence by drawing the round.

      Delete
  7. I have a feeling that Akagi is just going to Rinshan Tsumo the 4s and win right here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does he even need an actual 1/9 man/sou? If it's just about preventing Washizu's pons an opaque tile would suffice. It would put Washizu in a tight spot regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The things are quite simple. If Akagi draws any opaque tile, he can practically block Washizu's route to victory, at least for one turn. He can discard the 3 or 5 shu, pon the 2 shu and discard the other tile ending in a single wait on the opaque tile. This will make Washizu too afraid to discard a tile that he doesn't know the location of the opaque tile as he will get roned if it happens to be Akagi's wait (he will no longer be in furiten, since his waiting tile will not be the 4 shu). Even if he draws an opaque tile that has no copy in washizu's hands, i believe that washizu will hesitate to discard the tiles needed to win. Any transparent tile that needs to be discarded by washizu for his victory will also do the trick, since it will stop his path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you seriously think that Washizu, in his current god state, would be afraid? He doesn't even mind dying anymore.

      Delete
    2. He is not in a "god state". He certainly has the luck of a god, but he has the mind of a mere mortal. With a little "persuasion" by Akagi, he can certainly stall. And Akagi is a master of leading his opponents to false assumptions about his hand. Why not mislead Washizu once more?

      Delete
    3. Clearly a peasant like you cannot understand the level of reverence that Washizu has reached. A level only those of a god could hope to achieve.

      Delete
    4. Lol. The fact that people worship him, does not give him the foresight of a god. He still cannot see the glyph behind an opaque tile. His reverence did not save him from getting outplayed by Akagi tons of times. His "mortal" mind was no match for Akagi in the previous rounds. I insist that Washizu is an intelligent mortal with extraordinary luck.

      PS: Do you know what a peasant is? A god's (the only thing close to a god in real world is an oppressor) natural enemy.

      Delete
    5. Washizu right now isn't the same as he was in the previous rounds. If he was, he would never have discarded the 9-sou and switch to a daisangen tsuu ii sou. He wouldn't be tricked by Akagi, his intuition right now is too strong.

      Delete
  10. Are there any reports or releases or Any sort of Anything that says when FKMT is planning to wrap this up?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fukumoto had said in a somewhat recent interview that Akagi has dragged on so he is going to begin to wrap it up. We may see the ending in the next couple years!

    ReplyDelete