Saturday, November 28, 2015

HERO Chapter 16

After a 2-day delay, HERO chapter 16 is now up! In this chapter, what happened to Hiroyuki's 2-man?!

Thanks to Tambur for the typesetting and to Crump for the cleans. There's a mahjong night going on right now on the IRC, and there will be no stream tomorrow.

Chapter Link

"Just one finger won't be enough for this..."


Yes. It's true. This Ichikawa is a fake! Taking on the name of the legendary blind gambler!! It all makes sense now! That's how he was able to make so many reads that seemed like they'd require sight! That's how he was able to see the 2-man! And the man Hiroyuki was playing against doesn't have to be over 100 years old... Maybe the real Ichikawa isn't even alive still! I've been trying my best to keep this a secret every time someone asked me how the hell Ichikawa could still be alive, since I didn't want to spoil that the Ichikawa in HERO was fake. Hopefully it caught a lot of you off guard, too.

I thought the whole arc was pure genius and the way that Hiroyuki reveals that Ichikawa can actually see is cool as shit. The only problem now is talking his way out of using a fake 2-man to trick Ichikawa... hopefully Ichikawa's being able to see will take precedence over Hiroyuki's still-kind-of-cheating. And who exactly is Ichikawa, anyway?

13 comments:

  1. This series has been a FREAKING rollar coaster ride of insanity. First Ich was alive and I was So MAD that he Somehow outlived Akagi. But when they started playing again and he was just Soooo Ich I slowly accepted it and really got into it and was like Yeah. Take the dying wish of Akagi prove yourself worthy of it! Do as he has done. Kill what only he can kill. And like it was slow going At First but then there was the classic FKMT Could this by my sliver of hope, and then random shit that came together. When the overseer was like where'd the 2-man go I was like Hmmm technically showing off your phone charm in the middle of the match isn't cheating. The same way using the dora as part of your closed kan Isn't really cheating if the 5th tile in your hand is really the fourth tile, and putting a piece of paper over a tile isn't Reeeealky cheating so long as that tile is just in the unused wall. . . But when Hero started going You aren't blind. I was FURIOUS because all I could think about was if he isn't blind why did he deal the 4th Xia without Looking! This is stupid. But then the crazy shit pulled together and you know fake Akagi now fake Ich. Apparently in this wotld we all have 7 genetic "twins" in the larger FKMT-verse at least two of them live in Japan.
    I LOVED THIS CHAPTER!
    I fell hard at the cute lil FKMT is the Akagi of mangakia and I'm the Hiro of mangakia just so cute. . . But this chapter is hard flippin core Sheer Awesomness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My exact thoughts. What really got me in this chapter was that when stupid shit happens in FKMT stories I mostly overlook them because they have a reason to be stupid. But in this case I got easily fooled by overlooking it and it makes me very happy.

      Delete
  2. Love this manga! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an absolutely brilliant chapter, and this is precisely why I love HERO so damn much. He has the cleverness of Akagi, but with a slightly different focus. Like when he and Ten noticed the spinning tiles and deduced their value based on what physical properites would allow them to spin. It's kind of like a detective story but set within mahjongg, and it works perfectly.

    Absolute genius. If any mahjongg fans aren't reading this, start now is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!

      If anyone has been putting it off thinking it wasn't worth there time

      NOW

      Is when they should start because there is enough to shotgun and really get how it's oh so everything we want

      Delete
    2. This was the chapter where I said "wow this manga is getting great"
      The next arc I was squealing like a fangirl at Hiro.
      And then it gets better and better and better and better.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if FKMT & Friends knows that pretty much all of his major works are available in English.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And by that I mean does FKMT know about the FKMTKrazy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. Just yesterday we were wondering how old Ichikawa would have to be in this. 110 years? Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Hey man! Let's not get crazy. Its pretty damn good. I might go as far as saying its better than Ten. But . . . Let's not get crazy.

      Delete
  8. Hahaha, I'm so glad people are finally coming around to hero! This is why I've been wanting to come back to it for so long, it's just keeps getting better! :)

    ReplyDelete