Saturday, August 22, 2015

Middle Manager Tonegawa Chapter 3

Last time we left Tonegawa on quite a cliffhanger. Well, here's the exciting conclusion! I was planning on getting this out a little earlier, but Kaiji came along, and we already know that Kaiji will beat Tonegawa every time.

Thanks to jatelion for the cleans and Kazuhiko for the typesetting. The new chapter came out a couple days ago, and I am currently working on translating that one.

Middle Manager Tonegawa Chapter 3

"He threw it right back to me! A ticking time bomb!"



This chapter is a short one, so I'll keep my post short as well. Hyoudou's "desperately trying stay awake" face is hilarious, and I don't think any Fukumoto character has made a face even close to it. In fact, it's so bizarre that Tonegawa accidentally burns another bridge because of it. I guess we can't have him being too shrewd without him overthinking things from time to time. But I have to say, it's really weird seeing Hyoudou look like an actual old man instead of a maniacal tyrant. A lot of the comedy in this series seems to come from the seeing the vulnerable and even silly sides of the regularly confident and powerful characters from Kaiji. I like it, personally. In my opinion, this series pulls off the humor much better than All Stars does.
It's a little hard to notice now, but when Tonegawa says "Shut up," he says it in English, which is an homage to when he says "Fuck you" in English during the original Kaiji series.

6 comments:

  1. Loving this new series so far. Can't wait for more! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a brilliant manga. As well as everything else, I love the parody of FKMT's style, with the panel for 'Is an old man'. It's so spot on. Tonegawa somehow makes for a great sympathetic character when he's more than just Hyoudou's second in command.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the chapter! Really like this spin-off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >which is an homage to when he says "Fuck you" in English during the original Kaiji series
    I don't recall him saying such a thing in the anime series. He does in the live action movie, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's from the manga.
      http://kaijiblog.up.n.seesaa.net/kaijiblog/image/fuckyou.jpg?d=a8

      Delete
    2. FAKKYEEEEEEEEWWWWW

      Delete