Thursday, July 30, 2015

Akagi Chapter 253

Chapter 253 of Enma May Cry is now up! In this chapter, a new foe presents himself to Washizu!

Thanks to Tambur for the typesetting and to Crump for the cleans. I'll be streaming Kaiji PS1 this Sunday at 2:00 PM PST, and there will be a mahjong night this Saturday at 3:00 PM PST.

Chapter Link

"Washizu, you truly are a praiseworthy villain!"


So this reveal may be a bit underwhelming if you don't know anything about Buddhist beliefs, but yes, this is King Enma, who I guess you could call the buddhist version of Satan. The major difference is that he's not evil; he's the one who decides who gets to ascend to a higher plane of existence and who gets to be tortured in Hell based on their actions in life. I had a tough decision on whether to call him Yama or Enma, since Yama is the more common name in english and he's known that way in more parts of the world, but since we're using the word Oni I figured I may as well use the Japanese name for Enma as well. Incidentally, Enma is where the subtitle for Washizu's spinoff manga comes from. "Enma no Tohai" means "Mahjong Player of Enma", but understandably Anonymous Delivers translated it as "Lord of Mahjong Hell" to make it easier to get. But yeah, yet more tie-ins to the spinoff manga.

Washizu calls Enma a "ひげ面" or beard-face in Japanese, which is mildly offensive and certainly not something you should be calling the king of the underworld. I tried to think of something similarly offensive involving beards in english but all that came to mind was "neckbeard" which I don't think was a common term at the time this manga is set. So I just went with fatass.

I don't know if I needed to clarify who Oda Nobunaga was, since he's a pretty famous guy even in the West, but considering I didn't know what a Roomba was (by the way, I fixed that chapter to include the word roomba, lol) I don't trust myself to know what people do and don't know anymore. For the cleansed crystal mirror (jouhari no kagami), I was trying to find an existing translation for it to keep things consistent, and all I found was an item in the Touhou games. I was hoping for a more official translation, but I guess it's better than nothing. I like how Washizu was too evil for the mirror to even show, by the way.

So basically, this chapter was full of stuff I wasn't 100% sure if I translated correctly. But at least I gave it my best shot.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's quite amusing that the King of Hell himself needs to come down to settle a fight in a Bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite boring in hell. Everything going so smoothly. If you heard of a commotion for the first time in 400 years I be you'd fuckin run to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 400 years wouldn't be that much, I read a bit and for them he came at the beginning of the world?
      Then he's probably 14 billion years old or something, so 400 years is pretty short to him to be quite fair.

      A common analogy is that the time from the apperance of the homo sapiens to our day represents about one minute in the life of the universe (or was it one second).

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete