Thursday, June 25, 2015

Akagi Chapter 248

A new installment of Washizu in Hell is now upon us! In this chapter, Washizu tries to rally some forces to take on the Oni!

Thanks to Tambur for the typesetting and Crump for the cleans, as always. Special thanks to Denji for buying and scanning this volume for us!! The man is a saint. There will be a mahjong night this Saturday at 3:00 PM PST.

Chapter Link

"I think I might be able to fight now!! If it's alongside that man!!"


What do I even say about this chapter, Washizu is such a badass it's unbelievable. We still haven't discovered why Washizu is as strong as he was in his spinoff manga, but nevertheless he's much much faster than the Oni and it looks like his stabs have quite a bit of force behind them. I'm more surprised that olive pick hasn't broken from all this.

I remember first reading this and getting a Kurosawa vibe from it, what with one side seeming impossible to overcome while the other is a ragtag bunch of misfits that needs a leader to even fight. I say that I'm not fond of this arc, but I still do enjoy it somewhat. And now that I've seen Attack on Titan, this feels a lot like that, too.

One note about the translations: You have no doubt noticed by this point that I always write the plural of "Oni" as "Oni", not "Onis" or what have you. This is because Oni is a Japanese word, and Japanese does not have plurals, so the plural of Bento is Bento, the plural of Ninja is Ninja, and the plural of Oni is Oni. I know that everyone says Ninjas and Bentos and stuff, but technically it's not correct. And I prefer to be as correct as I can manage, even if it might be a bit confusing.

13 comments:

  1. BASED FKMTKRAZY!!

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has literally become Oni May Cry. And I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This arc is incredible

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would there be a chance of you guys picking up "Fukumoto All Stars"?
    https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=113940

    ReplyDelete
  5. To think that Washizu was a man with a penchant for stabbing people in the dick, things will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you guys, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From a manga about an antisocial kid who becomes the best Mahjong player in the universe we switched to the adventures of an old man currently taking on gigantic demons by himself with an olive pick.
    Please never change, Fukumoto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Akagi was never about an antisocial kid who becomes the best Mahjong player, it was always about a nihilistic genius kid who wrote legends in post WW2 Japan's underground gambling scenes.

      Delete
  8. Okay, can someone explain the Hagio and Ogino joke please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you meant to comment in the Tonegawa thread. They introduced themselves as Ogino and Hagio but Tonegawa changed that to Ogio and Hagino.

      Delete
  9. Unless it's some pun, there's a typo on page 11 (012.png) in the second speech bubble.
    "Stay" -> "Say"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the idea that Washizu is more scared of akagi than of literal hell

    ReplyDelete