Thursday, June 18, 2015

Akagi Chapter 247

Chapter 247 of Akagi is now up! In this chapter, Washizu discovers the nature of the place he's found himself in!

Thanks to Tambur for the typesetting and to Crump for the cleans. Mahjong night will be happening without me this Saturday at 3:00 PM PST, and I will not be streaming this Sunday.

Chapter Link

"So this is what Hell is like! Veeeeery interesting!!"


So yeah, welcome to Hell, both literally and in the sense that there's not going to be any mahjong for a while. I think it's safe to say that this manga has gone off the deep end here, if it didn't already do that a while ago.

It's interesting to see a different take on Hell, I suppose. It is kind of silly, but I guess it makes sense that Oni would want to play games to pass the time while they're torturing the damned. And I think this is especially Washizu's idea of Hell: being tortured and put down by those much younger than him. I have to be honest though, this arc is not my favorite.

Now those of you who have read our scans of the Washizu spinoff may recognize the Washizu-copter that is shown when Washizu realizes he's at his peak physical strength again. Guess what, this one panel is the whole reason why we translated that arc. I wanted people to get the reference and be as surprised by it as I was, so that's why I felt it necessary to go and continue the manga up to that point. Washizu is also depicted wrestling a giant turtle in the same panel, and yes, that actually happens later on in the Washizu manga. This probably means that the Washizu manga is canon. All that ridiculous stuff that happens? Factually accurate in the Akagi universe. Or at the very least, Washizu believes it to be so. But considering he thinks he's in a cafe bar in Hell playing Foosball and Whack-a-Mole with Oni, he might be a bit crazy.

10 comments:

  1. I've read The Divine Comedy and this place is on par with Lucifer chewing your head and body for eternity while your body heals over and over again, which was the punishment for Judas i.e. the worst punishment in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chapter!

    I'm wondering where the story will go from here though. It seems kind of... random.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WASHIZU COPTER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Washizu is such a good villian he gets his own arc and no one complains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to imagine that he gets all his strength in hell due to how evil he is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this as much as I loved the mahjong

    ReplyDelete
  7. It appears we have a small oversight on Fukumotos part here whack-a-mole wasn't invented until 1975 over ten years from the current date in the Manga

    So Washizu couldn't really hallucinate about a bunch of deliquent Oni playing a hell version of it.

    Unless of course it's not a hallucination at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plot Twist: Washizu invents whack-a-mole after this.

      Delete
    2. You do know that just because it wasn't invented people hadn't dreamt up the idea before. I wonder how many people thought up the idea of whack a mole before a person actually came along with the funds and connections to actually make it into a game.

      Delete