Thursday, May 28, 2015

Akagi Chapter 243

The 243rd installment of Akagi is now upon us! In this chapter, nothing of importance happens. How much longer can Fukumoto really drag this manga out at this point? Like, for real. ;)

Thanks to Crump for the cleans and to Tambur for the typesetting. I'll seriously be streaming more Mukoubuchi this Sunday at 2:00 PM PST, and there will be a mahjong night on the IRC this Saturday at 3:00 PM PST.

Chapter Link

"You must have patience to succeed!!"


I just have to say that seeing the reactions to the last chapter was a real treat for me. I feel like a lot of times a good chunk of the fanbase is able to guess what's going to happen next in Akagi and Kaiji, but this time everyone felt CONVINCED that Washizu was going to play something other than the Pei. Some people were already saying that they wished Fukumoto would sometimes write it so that the side from whose perspective we're viewing wouldn't always be the side that loses. We were watching from Akagi's side the entire round, so obviously Washizu's going to figure out his wait and move around it, they'd say. All I could do was smile smugly and keep quiet.

And even if they didn't think Washizu was going to go around the Pei, everyone at least felt certain that Washizu was going to spend at least a few more chapters deciding what to play. But nope. I think Fukumoto has really outdone himself here and written a chapter that NOBODY saw coming.

So now, the question is, will Washizu die? He's going to have 800 ccs taken from him now, so that will make for 1900 with the 1100 he already lost. The absolute lethal limit is 2000, and seeing how hard it was on Akagi at 1800 ccs, combined with Washizu's age, it would seem like a no-brainer that this would do him in. I can tell you that when this was the most recent chapter, the general consensus was that, yes, Washizu would kick the bucket. People were already declaring the Washizu arc over after this chapter. But let me just warn you not to jump to conclusions. It's not over until it's well and truly over.

30 comments:

  1. Why was ハイテイ translated as houtei? I know houtei is the correct yaku here, but in chapter 223 Akagi made an added kan shaped like an open kan, so he's clearly not himself, probably from all the blood he's lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do things like that to keep the terminology simple. I also don't say "renchan", I always use "honba" for both renchan and honba. It's to make people who don't know mahjong as well have less confusion.

      And the added kan thing is perfectly correct, it's because Akagi is stacking his calls vertically rather than horizontally. It's easier to make an added kan that way rather than trying to push the other calls out of the way to make room for the extra tile. And there's really no difference between a Shominkan and Daiminkan in terms of scoring and furiten and whatnot, so there's no need to put it the extra effort.

      Delete
  2. aww man dont TELL me its going to be uneventfuuuooOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah! We finally reached the end of South Three! Congrats to the team. I remember back in 2012 when I had vol 26 I was excited about one day having complete English scanlations of that round. Today is the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Thanks for the chapter! It was really satisfying.

    I am assuming that Washizu will hang on and the match will go into roung 4 :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant wait for The next chapter, enjoy your commenting on The chapters everytime you release a new one^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy shit, I came all over my mahjong set.
    Also you guys forgot your credits page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The double page spread of Akagi opening his hand was worth waiting 2 volumes. So satisfying when Fukumoto's tension finally gets released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, reminds of the end of Kaiji's mahjong arc. Had chills that whole chapter, when it finally happened I freaking cheered! So satisfying.

      Delete
  8. Are you guys going to translate the Tonegawa spinoff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean there's a Tonegawa ripoff now?

      Delete
  9. http://global.bookwalker.jp/list/?cm=538

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, Kaiji got an official english translation! Too bad it's awful.

      Delete
    2. "Did you know that there is a genre called, "Seinen Manga"? Unlike the world of "Shonen Manga," it explores the "dark side", and allows readers to experience inner surface of a human being, like in a film."

      Dropped harder than Teiai dropped Ichijou

      Delete
    3. Holy shit this typesetting is fucking awful. I want to wring the person's neck who is typesetting this.

      Delete
    4. Does this mean FKMT won't be doing Mokushiroku Kaiji?

      Delete
    5. Nice now we can completely drop Kaiji and focus on Akagi, Kuro, Hiro, Washi :3.

      Delete
    6. Oh god FKMT is dropping Kaiji!

      Delete
    7. Awful is better than nothing. Would definitely buy if they translate part 4.

      Delete
    8. Mm, I don't see any point in doing part 1 now that it's translated by them. If they do part 4 we'll probably have to drop it

      Delete
    9. this looks pretty cool and all but why the fuck is there a spoiler on the first fucking issue's description, it describes part 2 instead of part 1, come onnnnn.

      Delete
    10. These translations of Kaiji
      Regardless of how good or terrible they are
      They won't do me a Lick of good if they aren't hosted somewhere I can read them for Free

      Delete
    11. Why do you need to read them for free? Are you seriously so cheap/poor you can't fork over 500 Yen (or whatever the equivalent in your country's currency is) for a volume of Kaiji? I mean shit I don't have much cash myself but I'll still scrap together enough to support Fukumoto legitimately.

      Delete
    12. You do know shipping isn't included right? If you ordered all volumes that'd the 75 bucks not including shipping.

      Delete
    13. You do realize they're ebooks, right? As in digital copies. There is no shipping moron.

      Delete
    14. But you guys are way better than any official translation will ever be...

      Delete
    15. A few things. Let's start with the big one

      1- NO, I do not actually have 75 dollars. I don't I don't I do not.
      2- I don't have an ebook reader
      3- I've seen the anime

      Delete
    16. they don't cost $75, nearly anything that can post to this blog (and read the translations... jeez) can read an ebook, stop being a cheapass.

      Between the horrible translation and atrocious typesetting, you're complaining about the guy who actually makes this shit getting some cash money? for shame.

      Delete