Thursday, May 14, 2015

Akagi Chapter 241

Yes! It's yet another chapter of Akagi for you, this week! And in this chapter, we find out what Washizu will do now that he has drawn the 9-man!

Thanks to Tambur for the typesetting and to Crump for the cleans! I will be streaming even more of Mukoubuchi PS2 this sunday at 2:00 PM PST, and there will be yet another mahjong night this saturday at 3:00 PM PST.

Chapter Link

"You will be thrust into an ocean of sub-zero temperatures!"


I remember that my reaction upon reading this chapter for the first time was of complete shock. I could not BELIEVE that Washizu actually had the thought enter his mind that Akagi might be waiting for his Pei. I thought it was all over at the end of Volume 27 when Washizu got the Haitei draw, but it's still far from it. Yes, it does make sense that the chi would give Washizu some reason to be concerned, but you still have to give him credit that he actually realized the danger of his Pei; for all intents and purposes it should be a completely safe tile.

I personally have had things like this happen to me in real mahjong where I play a tile several times in a row only to have someone ron on the second or third tile. All mindgames aside, it's just common sense that a tile that has passed once will pass again on the following turn, especially if the opponent deals what they just drew like Akagi did. All I'm saying is that even after everything that's happened to him, Washizu is still a fearsome opponent right up until the bitter end, and if he really plays something other than the pei, it will definitely make him the greatest opponent Akagi has ever faced.

16 comments:

  1. wwwaaaassSSSSHHHIIIZZZZZUUUUUU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god! The suspense!

    Thank you very much for another amazing chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. Bah I can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it me or has the pacing become even more incredibly slow? 4 chapters for a single round around the table? And this chapter had no discards at all? I imagine the next chapter will be 18 pages of Washizu talking to himself and, if we're lucky, a last-page discard with a cliffhanger. There's drawing things out, and then there's Akagi vs. Washizu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way you can get through this pivotal discard in a single chapter. It's too important, and Washizu has a lot of searching to do if he's going to avoid dealing it.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't have it any other way. (- 3 -)

    ReplyDelete
  6. >I personally have had things like this happen to me in real mahjong where I play a tile several times in a row only to have someone ron on the second or third tile.

    That's how I won my first Yakuman. I drew to kokushi tenpai between the 2nd and 3rd discard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm ready to sell my house and give all my money just to see the end of this match at this point.

    Am I insane?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sonic, I read on ANN that Fukumoto voiced a background character ('Boy A') in FLCL. Do you know anything about this? Or anyone else? And thanks for your work on Akagi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Fukumoto Takayuki (福本貴之), not Fukumoto Nobuyuki (福本伸行).

      Delete
  9. guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. According to ANN there will be a new spin-off manga focusing on Tonegawa and the Teai group:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-19/kaiji-fukumoto-to-collaborate-on-spinoff-manga-starring-tonegawa/.88306

    Do you have plans to scanlate this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This better not be some chibi bullshit artist like that Fukumoto All stars crap.

      Who's the artist doing it and what sample art have they done?

      Delete
    2. The artist is a newcomer. I would assume that they're one of Fukumoto's former assistants, but I'm not sure.

      Delete
    3. I find it interesting that they are going with Tonegawa for the spin off and not Kurosaki Yoshihiro.

      Tonegawa was a fight that happened already.

      Yoshihiro is a fight that has yet to come.

      Unless Tonegawa rises from the ashes and faces off against Kaiji again

      Delete
    4. It makes sense. Tonegawa is an iconic, pre-established character. I had to look up who the hell that other guy was because I'd already forgotten. Also, the article says that it's going to be a "slice-of-life" style spinoff /starring/ Tonegawa. They wouldn't write a manga about Tonegawa gambling against Kaiji from Tonegawa's perspective.

      Besides, Kaiji is too busy gambling with Kazuya right now to make an appearance.

      Delete