Friday, October 3, 2014

The New Kurosawa Chapter 2 + Anti-Marijuana Oneshot

Yep, here's chapter 2. I guess this post is a kind of "All hail our new translating God, Denji" post, since I also have for you an anti-drug FKMT oneshot that was published on a government website fairly recently that Denji translated and edited all on his own.

Thanks to Denji for the translations on both, and to Crump and Tambur for the fine editing job on the Kurosawa chapter. I will not be streaming today, I feel too sick still. Mahjong night will be tomorrow at 22:00 GMT (3:00 PM PDT).

The New Kurosawa Chapter 2
Do you know the dangers of those so-called Legal Drugs that are being sold?

"There's a homo in here!!"


Poor Kurosawa, even in a coma all sorts of awkward and embarrassing stuff keeps happening to him. But honestly, I don't think these kind of homophobic jokes would fly that well in the western world (except in Southern America I guess)... Like what gay guy would actually start playing around with some comatose man's dick? Takeshi didn't even think it was wrong apart from Makio being interested in another man. It kind of feels to me like dehumanizing them a bit, which is actually kind of understandable considering how little Japan even knows about gay people in general. I dunno, maybe I'm making too much out of it, but I didn't really find this chapter all that funny.

But it is interesting how much content Fukumoto is able to squeeze out of this part, even though Kurosawa still can't even move or see yet. Should be interesting to see how long it takes for Kurosawa to wake up, and how much you can get with a protagonist who can't interact with anyone.

This one I'm not even happy to be putting up, but if I don't nobody will be able to see Denji's work on it. So I guess I have to talk about it as well. Yes, this is not about the marijuana that we have legalized in some states of America, it's about "legal" drugs that you can get in Japan, but from what I can tell they're pretty much the same thing, maybe with some more ingredients added for the ones in this oneshot. But either way, the problem here is not the drugs, it's the regulations that force these drugs to be sold in this way. If pot were legalized and regulated these kinds of ingredients wouldn't be added, anyway. And all the short term effects listed here are completely normal for pot, but only if you overdose. I've had pot myself quite a bit and have experienced some of these first hand, and really you shouldn't go out and try to do things anyway, certainly not DRIVE, while high. And really, most of these are things that can happen if you drink too much as well... that's why there's drunk driving laws in place. I understand that these drugs being discussed are worse than regular pot, but really, if you just legalize pot you could make it safer and we wouldn't have to worry about people putting other crap in it. Maybe you should make one of these for smoking tobacco instead, that's a much more rampant problem in Japan that nobody seems to give a crap about.

22 comments:

  1. New Kurosawa is way more of a comedy than I expected. I'm enjoying it, does it stay that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mostly. At least for volume 1. As I keep reading, the tone is shifting towards a more even mix of tragedy and comedy reminiscent of the original series. I won't spoil any more than that.

      Delete
    2. Out of curiosity, how many chapters of the new Kurosawa exist right now? Also I can't wait to see in which direction the story will go, the original manga was a big inspiration for me, I'd rank it as one of the best literary pieces I've ever read easily (and I did read a lot of stuff in my life).

      Delete
  2. I don't think you're making too much out of it, I'm not okay with it either :\

    but I do find Reefer Madness a la Fukumoto kind of funny in an 'oh dad' kind of way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really think it's homophobia if it's not really meant to be offensive, and you know it's true when I, professional cockswallower Chuck's the one saying it.
    But then again, I'm probably the least homophobic person I know.

    Hell, personally, I though the joke wasn't about homosexuality, but more about how Kurosawa's first dicksucking was done while he was in a coma, by an ugly ass dude no less.
    But then again, I'd probably suck Kurosawa's dick if he couldn't stop me.

    Anyways, are you gonna be streaming this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too sick today, tomorrow's mahjong night, day after is football night (which I don't care about but other people do). So no.

      Delete
    2. He didn't got his dick sucked Maiko was really looking for his earring.

      And when he went for Kurasawa the first time, it was to make fun of his old dick, so even back there Kurosawa would have gotten no head at all.

      Delete
  4. I just deleted a chain of comments here because I realized I said something in this post (which I have now edited out) which I shouldn't have said. This is the first time I've deleted any comments other than useless ones, and it's not because I'm ashamed of what I said, but because I feel it may impact the way people see me and my work, which I want to keep neutral. Any future references to what I said on this blog will be deleted, but you may ask me on the IRC and if I feel confident enough that you won't spread the word I'll let you know. Thank you and good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sorry this happened to you. I'm glad I didn't catch what they said though. Anyway, thank you and the whole team for the releases!

      Delete
  5. I didn't find this homophobic at all. FKMT is just, from what I've read, not a guy who usually includes romantic relationships in his works. The only one I remember was when Kaiji went out with the ugly girl in the beginning of part 3, and I believe they were mostly shown just for comedic purposes.

    As for the oneshot, I've heard a lot of misinformation from Japan regarding marijuana, so this one doesn't surprise me. While the side-effects could be true, they were amplified and made to look like they will always have lethal consequences. Granted, I don't know what they are actually selling on Japan, but I doubt they'll change the laws regarding marijuana in a conservative country like Japan for a long, long time. You can always move to Uruguay, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually his early works were almost entirely focused on romance. His manga just didn't gain popularity until he started doing gambling manga. Although yeah, his works anymore have pretty much no romance.

      Delete
    2. That's not weed, it is an altered pot so it would pass the regulations, but that just make it worse, is like cheap cocaine mixed with weed. Nasty stuff.

      Delete
  6. I realize this is so not the place to talk about this, but the fake weed stuff is actually super bad for you. If anything, FKMT is under exaggerating its effects. I've seen someone smoke the pure powder they put on the herbs and they started coughing up blood and seizing. Some of the compounds, particularly in the AM series, are actually more "more-ish" than coke. As whoever wrote the blog post said, by prohibiting actual marijuana, (which is generally regarded as at or below alcohol's level in regards to danger profile) they are creating a vacuum that is filled by dangerous designer drugs that have completely unknown short term and long term effects.

    I am surprised that fake weed is a thing in Japan too, and it is sold in the same way as America (labeled "not for human consumption"). As long as governments keep banning intoxicants, especially relatively safe ones, people will just design new ones that we know even less about.
    .
    ps: sorry for going so off topic, I really appreciate all the great stuff you do. you guys are 100% my favorite scan group <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait so they're your favorite scan group and you don't even realize that sonickrazy writes pretty much all the blog posts? lolz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any chance we might expect Kaiji again Krazy?
    I guess that anon was a ruse after all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. >It kind of feels to me like dehumanizing them a bit, which is actually kind of understandable considering how little Japan even knows about gay people in general.

    Sonic, making them martyrs is kind of bad too. Fukumoto has made many character do way worse things. Thinking that you shouldn't joke about gay people is excluding them too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally got around reading this, i see now what you mean, the Maiko character was definitively made out of those bad high school girls that have those ideas of fun which consist of mocking people who are in a bad situation, they sneak into hospitals to fuck, smoke and have a good time, so he probably was going to make fun of his penis while he was out of it, which mean Kurasawa never got any head at all, the problem is that Maiko as much as it acts like a punk ass girl, is in reality a grown man, so such immature attitude looks out of place.

    There are bitches like that out there, the difference here is that Takeshi got jealous and stopped Maiko, if this was a regular couple of punk kids Takeshi would have go with it, the question now is, are there gay men that act that way? highly unlikely, even the most flamboyant and bad gay man would need quite some high levels of prudence and self control to survive in Japan, maybe in a more liberated society those cases could happen, because humans are assholes and being gay would not change that.

    Anyway i too want to believe that Maiko went back just to get the earring, and if you look carefully one of his earrings is indeed missing, so what happen before could just be part of Maiko real self impulsed by the thrill of the moment.

    Feel free to delete this comment if it becomes troublesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shit, you're right, he is missing an earring when he goes to sniffle Kurosawa's spaghetti and meatballs. I'll also choose to believe that theory you're going with, it just hurts me think about Kurosawa being molested while in a coma.

      Delete
    2. "spaghetti and meatballs" spaghetti? not even sausage and eggs? man poor Kurosawa even biology abandoned him XD.

      Delete
  11. Between the EXTREMELY blatant misogyny and homophobia in Shin Kurosawa, I wonder if it's even worth reading ... Very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really wish New Kurosawa chapters would get uploaded more frequently. Still, I'm glad you guys decided to translate it in the first place. Keep up the good work guys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information!
    Mmjherb

    ReplyDelete