Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Atsuize Pen-Chan Chapter 7

And we're back with more of our most popular series (har dee har), Pen-Chan! It's a shame that, judging by the downloads, this is actually the least popular series we've done; it's super funny. I guess people just don't like comedy that much in their fkmt mangos. Anyway, in this chapter, Pen-Chan loses yet again, this time with some major repercussions!

Thanks to Iapetus for the cleans and to Tambur for sticking through until the end despite the onslaught of sound effects I made him do. There will be a mahjong night this Saturday at 22:00 GMT on the IRC.

Chapter Link

"His dreams made reality... he has the determination to see what can be possible!"


So I guess this chapter might be a bit of a let-down compared to the crazy insanity that last chapter brought to the table, but there's still some funny moments. I mostly felt bad for pen-chan, considering he just wants to play mahjong but his crabby boss won't let him. I guess you wouldn't want your employees gambling anyway, even without his extreme bias against mahjong.

But looking past the pen-chan pity, it's kind of funny how he can go from riches to rags in the space of an hour; he even loses his clothes in the end. And if you're wondering why I keep using "Jong" when penchan is talking about playing mahjong, it's because he's using a similar abbreviation of the word and I've sometimes playfully shortened it to Jong when talking about it. Also, the "I want to marry the guy" line kept me laughing for days after I first read it. Just the idea of the dude being so afraid of Yamazaki that he goes that far was hysterical to me, and Yamazaki's "......" made it all the better.

We also get some pseudo-philosophy from Yamazaki that just winds up turning into a rant about why he has the hots for Pen-Chan explained by comparing him to Sakamoto Ryouma. Ryouma's pretty famous in Japan since he pretty much got Japan out of feudal times and caught up with the modern era. I'm sure some of you have heard of him because of Anime, but I figured I'd explain who he was in the margins anyway. The final narration box is probably only funny if you knew who Ryouma was before you read the chapter... but you can at least understand the humor of someone being compared to a super-famous historical hero going around collecting bottles.

There's gonna be a few more releases of Akagi here very shortly I suspect. If you're still holding out for more Kaiji you might have to wait a while yet.

4 comments:

  1. Let's Jong!

    I may use this phrase now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please continue it! It's a amazing series! Anyone knows how many chapters is it going to have?

    ReplyDelete