Sunday, December 9, 2012

Super Akagi 64 + Fan Art?

All right, it's more Akagi! I can't wait to see how Akagi and Washizu... wait, what? 64? Not 164, but just 64? Yes, we're going to go through volume 8 before hitting volume 19 again for the simple reason that we have a new Cleaner, Doc! This chapter took a long long time for several reasons, the first of which was obviously recruiting a new cleaner. The second was simply the fact that I am currently very busy with school and work, and the third one is just that there was a lot of content not included in the anime that took me a while to work through.

Oh, and the reason we're going through 8 at all is because I want to get Doc warmed up before we start busting out v19, since the chapters in v8-10 are much easier to clean. Much harder for everyone else, but cleaning is fine. Thanks to him for the hard work and making sure he got it all right the first time, and to Kazuhiko for putting up with the copious amounts of text he had to typeset.

Finally, Mahjong Day didn't happen because I didn't advertise it beyond a single tweet. Let's try for Saturday this week.

THE TRIUMPHANT RETURN OF THE NEW CONTENT SECTION:

  • Akagi seems to take a slightly different look at Washizu than in the anime
  • Washizu's history is expanded upon, describing in more detail what he did to succeed.
I summarized it in two bullet points, but A LOT was removed from this chapter in the Anime. The first was rather interesting, that Akagi seems to be taking his impression of Washizu more as someone who is trying desperately to stay alive while bringing others down to Hell with him. It seems more like Akagi is mercy killing Washizu than anything, maybe even getting revenge for Yukio's death!

The bulk of the new content in this chapter, though, came from Washizu's history. The anime just kind of quickly went through it, like "Washizu was a pretty cool guy, he made money by being lucky", but the manga goes into depth about things that aren't obvious, like how strong of a decision it was to leave the police force so soon before Midway, and why that would matter with the Tokubetsu Koutou Keisatsu, or Special Higher Police. Speaking of them, I looked it up and saw a lot of different translations for that group, my personal favorite being "Thought Police", which was actually used before Orwell's 1984 to describe both the German and Japanese versions of this kind of thought-suppressing organization. I have no doubt that Washizu willingly helped the police carry out these evil actions, he just snuck out before he could be blamed for it.

And of course Washizu didn't just get the money by being a really good councilor; he blackmailed politicians to get inside scoops about what he should advise his clients to do. And he wasn't really putting himself at any risk, either... even if the police thought it was suspicious, he could just blackmail them and bam, business as usual. Truly a very sinister and diabolical way to become rich, far from just knowing what to do in certain financial climates.

That's about it for the new content in this chapter, I really do love seeing Akagi get more emotional than we usually see him. It's also nice to finally go back and continue what I started back when FKMTkrazy first began, the early chapters of Akagi. I know you guys want more post-anime stuff, but you can wait. <3

Now, on a semi-related note, have some fanart from last Mahjong Day.


It's so beautiful it makes me want to cry.

21 comments:

  1. So you're gonna do Akagi v8-10? My OCD is most pleased. Thank you.

    And that is indeed some fine fanart. Kudos to whoever made them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just volume 8 for right now, to get Doc warmed up for the big leagues. And thank you, the Washilrus was my creation. :3

      Delete
  2. Hell yeah, it is time to fill that Akagi's Hole!! BTW has anyone heard about THE LEGEND OF KOIZUMI manga? it has mahjong(lots of it) and Vladimir Putin as a villian... Its really weird but you should check it out : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was disappointed a bit but this chapter expanded on Washizu in interesting way, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to the new guy and thanks for the chapter.

    That fanart...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, great work, Doc!
    Oh man, the New Content section is finally back! I've waited so long for this day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I was looking forward to reading the rest of volume 19, this IS interesting! I never understood why these chapters were never translated.

    Also, just finished reading vol 10 of TEN =p
    Quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will you ever do the Zawa Zawa Anthology? I really want to read that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we can find raw scans of it we probably will do it eventually. I know I'd enjoy doing it. Isn't some of that already scanlated?

      Delete
    2. I have a reliable proxy in Japan, friend of mine..
      If you want to buy and scan the manga yourself: http://proxy.kolektakon.com/order/
      You can get them at auctions (sometimes really cheap) or other places. Check it out!

      Delete
  8. I know you're probably asked a lot, but will you ever be able to finish the first part of Kaiji?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We plan on finishing it eventually. But first on the list of priorities is Kaiji Kazuya hen and Akagi. I wouldn't expect to see Ch 24 of the first part of Kaiji until we're all done with those. That's approximately 150+ chapters to release, so sit tight until then.

      Delete
  9. Super Akagi 64...it took my until today to get this bad pun. God i suck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have been very frustrated when scanlations stopped at 63.

      Delete
  10. So, one burning question; will there be more Kaiji this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or Akagi? In any case, happy holidays guys.

      Delete
    2. Or anything at all?

      Delete
  11. December is time-consuming for us working in retail, stay tuned

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand the holiday but I can't keep for myself that i'm in witrhdrawal, ahrka... jharkha... I'm dying..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I even started dating women with really long noses to compensate for absence of fukumoto's manga : ) But I can relate, I'm swamped with university stuff

    ReplyDelete