Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Akagi Chapter 161

Man, we're fast! Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the first chapter of the next volume of DKai-... wait, what? Akagi? We're still doing that? Hmm. Well, I guess you have to wait a bit longer for Volume 10 of DKaiji, all we have for you today is more of Akagi. At least it's a pretty cool chapter.

Thanks to Crump for tearing himself away from DKaiji long enough to clean this chapter, and to Kazuhiko for typesetting it and doing the sweet ending page. Mahjong Day is this Saturday at 22:00 GMT.

"This dealing of Pei was a matter of life and death!"

All kidding aside, this chapter was pretty amazing. Washizu declares that he will win off Suzuki's Pei, but after seeing how very calm Akagi is, how cold his expression is, how dark the aura he is emitting has become, he cannot stop his hand from knocking his single tile over. Sure, he has a double yakuman win now, but Akagi is still alive. That hand could have killed him, and yet he still breathes. Washizu had at least one more draw guaranteed, and yet something, somewhere in Akagi's expression made him fear that it could all end without him being able to do anything, and in a blind panic, his fears got the better of him. Are the Gods truly favoring Washizu, and would he have gotten the Pei on his next draw? Did he extract the maximum value from the round, or could he have ended it all in just one more draw? We may never know, though I'm sure we will hear about what Akagi thinks would have happened in the next chapter.

Edit: This will be the last chapter of Akagi until we finish DKaiji completely. We were planning this for a while, since DKaiji is heating up and Akagi is cooling down.

14 comments:

  1. We must be in the twilight zone because I'd never say this otherwise:
    Can't we have more Kaiji instead of Akagi, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, we were actually thinking of releasing this one chapter and then going through to the end of DKaiji, hence my attitude in this post. Crump was the major force behind this decision, so you have him to thank.

      Delete
    2. Since I only work in the Kaiji group I don't have much say on what goes on with Akagi but if Crump wants to finish DKaiji, then I suppose it's time for me to pick up the pace as well.

      Delete
    3. I agree with this fellow anonymous even though i dont want to sound like a selfish b.
      Sonickrazy,Peng Yang,and the other we love your work on everything (especially Dkaiji :P) thank you so much for your guy's work

      Delete
  2. I actually want more HERO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I am fine with Akagi or Kaiji. It's good to stop and switch gears for a little with another manga. But no complaints at all if you want to finish up Dkaiji!

    However, if you finish up Dkaiji, does that mean that after you're done you're gonna go on an Akagi rampage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for others but I think that in all likelihood the return to Akagi would start promptly after DKaiji is finished. We do plan to do Kaiji Part 4 but it probably won't be nearly as fast as the DKaiji push.

      Delete
  4. Hum, yeah cool , but..
    I prefer akagi me !
    Even when there is no turning point , you can feel the tension and wait for the moment where there will be blood !
    Well i am not in the team i respect the choice.
    But can you say how much chapter is left in dkaiji ?
    (akagi will be back in one month, three , six ?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, Akagi is on Hiatus TT__TT .. Well I hope the wait will not be too long : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a Fukumoto fan, anything from him is very well received. But I'm excited to hear you guys are going to rush Kaiji, thanks again!
    As for this episode, well I didn't expect this happen. If anything, it seems Washizu stroke of luck is ending right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaiji's actually getting really interesting. The guy's grown on me a whole bunch: Initially I liked Akagi more because Akagi has his shit together, but somehow Kaiji has wormed his way deeper into my heart.

    Any work you guys do is naturally appreciated. I doubt any of FKMT's works get licensed in the west any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not going to lie - I only read Kaiji. I've watched the Akagi anime, and, while I enjoyed the run, mahjong isn't really something I can get into. Of course, you guys can do whatever you want, and I have no complaints either way, but I'm all for a big DKaiji push to the finish! But, like I said, I respect that other people want other things, so it's not like it can be Kaiji all the time every time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only hope Washizu made the right decision. I wonder if he really would have just drawn the winning tile...I can feel some of his despair and confusion from that chapter, and this feels like a hollow victory. The heavens showed no sign of slowing down save for the deathly aura of Akagi. I can see him berating Washizu either way:

    "Washizu, the heavens did everything possible to hand you victory, but you threw it away" or "Washizu, you're unable to even trust your divine luck"

    At any rate, thank you for the chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I love Akagi so much! thank you so much for this! keep up with the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete