Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Tenma Chapter 5

Ba-da-boom! Only 3 weeks this time! What a speedy releaser I am! ...No, but really, I should be able to get up to speed more or less after Christmas. Maybe I could even do a Christmas release of the final chapter of Tenma?!

Thanks a lot to Biggums for the excellent cleaning job, as always. Also, obviously, we won't be having Mahjong Day on Christmas Eve. That would just be silly. Or the next week, on New Year's Eve. And the week after that, I'm back in school. :( But we can probably do it then.

What's this?! Tenma is invited to the Mahjong League?! He is blessed by the gods to get the Dai San Gen hand often?!?! His opponent isn't someone hired by Hongou?!?!?! Yes, this is a major turning point in the Tenma series. I have no idea how it can all conclude in the next chapter, but we'll see.

Okay, first, a few Translation notes. The word that gets mentioned over and over and over in this chapter is "Blessed". The original word is something like "Fated" or "Destined", but the way it's used in context, those words are very hard to work into the story without sounding weird... so I just figured blessed would be a suitable alternative. Also, Satsuma's cheat actually has a name, "Surikae", but that's just a general term for switching items around without letting the opponent know. Funai calls his card-switching in Kaiji "Surikae". I think they transliterated it in the Ten translations as "Surikae", but I figured I already had enough Translator Notes cluttering up my margins.

Now, Satsuma. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time in all of FKMT manga that a character has recieved a traditional cutaway backstory? Sure, there's been little "Kaiji was this kind of person" flashbacks, but this is the first time I can think of where we actually have a story that takes place within the flashback. Regardless, he is certainly the most sympathetic character in the Tenma series, moreso than even Tenma himself. At first, I was wondering why Fukumoto was fleshing out the random opponent of the week, but then it became clear; he isn't just another opponent. He actually beats Tenma. The fact that he gives up the key at the end is of little significance... he beat someone who has won while being BLIND, for God's sake. Still, I don't think the ending could have been any better; he wins, but gives up the reward because the game would have gone to Tenma if he hadn't cheated. That just shows what a great guy he is. But still, I feel like it was more his luck that won; if the player to his left hadn't knocked over the Xia when he did, he wouldn't have even known to cheat in the first place. Not to mention that if he hadn't cheated, he would still have gotten the Xia, since the guy to his left would have called the 5-man, allowing him to draw it. But that might have made it even more discouraging to have won with an illegal Kokushi... his dad would never have wanted that. All in all, I'd say Satsuma has to be one of my favorite opponents in the series.

Tenma's role in this chapter was kind of... lacking, to be honest. He basically shows up, then it's Satsuma's show for the rest of the chapter. I'm glad it's not the last chapter, though, at least. And is it just me, or does Hiromi look way different now? Did she just cut her hair shorter, or did a lot of time pass since Chapter 3? @_@

2 comments:

  1. I can post with my Google account again!! Just came here to say that. As you were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is turning into Saki o_O Demonic luck,Mahjong league/tournament and signature yaku with no tricks to back it up. It's still enjoyable though. Thank you for translating!

    ReplyDelete