Monday, August 1, 2011

Akagi Chapter 51

Whooooooooooahhhh! Nakai arc in full swing! As it turns out, this chapter went by really fast... probably because I had half of it done already. But yeah, don't expect another update until the end of the week, or you may be disappointed... Homework and all. But after this week, I'm done, so I'll have a full month until I need to go back to school in the fall. And just in time for new content! Oh, and go read the chapter if you haven't, obviously.

NEW CONTENT:
- Everything after Akagi's speech to Osamu!!

All right, new content! And, uh, Akagi talking to Urabe about how worthless he is. We gotta sit through that too. See if you can spot the exact moment the manga takes a sharp turn from the anime and heads down the Nakai road.

...Okay, I'll tell you. See, in the Anime, Akagi pretty much said that he really wished Urabe had accepted so he could have a life-or-death battle with him... which provides a great segue into the Washizu arc that they skip to. In the manga, however, Akagi is more down-to-earth, stating simply that Urabe was never angry enough to accept his offer to begin with, then going on to say that he'll always put "staying alive before living", which is a major theme for this coming arc, firstly by driving Osamu to be more serious about gambling and try to better his game through Akagi's words of wisdom. I'm definitely glad we're getting more characterization from both Akagi and Osamu during this arc; I felt like I didn't really know much about their relationship with just what the Anime gave.

As for Osamu's actual game at the parlor, I guess the "Robbing a Kan" rule wasn't around back in these days... though I distinctly remember it in the Tetsuya anime. I dunno, maybe that rule isn't in the Kansai variant or something. If it were, Osamu would definitely play the 9-pin and take the 2-sou closed wait, since he apparently thought the player to his right was in Tenpai. If it isn't, it also explains why Urabe did the two kans in the South Third Round of his game, since kans would be totally safe without that rule.

But nevertheless, he took a chance and made a kan to get a safer tile on his Dead Wall draw, which he did, and then riichi'd with it for his 1-sou single wait. It wasn't a horrible call, per se, but he definitely needs to find a way of figuring out what's in people's hands better.

And finally, first impression of Nakai: he's really rude, and speaks in a very heavy Kansai dialect, making it hard for my formalized comprehension to... comprehend. I haven't read much further than this chapter, but overall I get the impression that he's more of a hustler than a real gambler, who just wants to beat the Legend of Mahjong at his own game. He does have some real mahjong experience, though, as is explored in the next chapter. Should be an interesting battle.

Ah, and the winner of the "Nakai's Laugh" poll was... "hnn-hn-hn...", by a phenomenal 1 vote! Now he will say "hnn-hn-hn..." whenever he laughs! I'm sure you're all very honored to have chosen the nasal sound a character in a manga makes. I certainly feel privileged to have taken part, myself.

5 comments:

  1. Wow that was quick.

    Really you are doing a good job on this blog, it seems to me you have a rather good insight into mahjong. I didn't really think about the kan rule, but you're certainly right. Your analysis is always pretty spot on.

    Btw, there's a mistake on the bottom of page 142, it has to be 3-sou and not 7-sou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm-hm-hm... Osamu, you don't know anything. Nakai was simply channeling the spirit of Urabe, whose wandering soul reminded him of the 7-sou Kan made against him in the match he was defeated!

    ...Or, you know, I got those two kans mixed up. Doy. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. If I recall, Chankan works only if its an open pon and you add a kan to it. So closed/open kans are fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I was not aware of that. Thanks for telling me, now I can look like less of a fool when I play. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. No probs, Thanks for the translations btw. Its been great following it.

    ReplyDelete